Sunday, December 30, 2012

Turn an old sweater into matching scarf and leg warmers

I have this very pretty sweater that was given to me for Christmas a couple years ago. Unfortunately it's way too short. I really like the color though and for some reason I could not give it away because I kept thinking that maybe I can use it for something else.
So here is to all of you who are holding on to sweaters that are too small, short, or have a small stain but you just don't want to get rid of them!
 
There are many possibilities, (first I wanted to turn it into mittens) but I decided to make a scarf and matching leg warmers.
All you need is (besides your pretty sweater):
- fabric glue
- scissors
- buttons, brooch, other accessories to pimp up your scarf (optional)



So this is my sweater. Pretty, isn't it? :)



Then you take your scissors and cut a straight line across, right under the arm pit. Don't be scared! 



This is what you will work with. Yes, you definitely won't be able to wear it anymore now. Don't throw the other part away, we will need it later.



Now turn it inside out. Add two lines of fabric glue to the end that you just cut. Only add a few inches at a time because it dries quickly! Carefully fold it over and slightly push it down. Make sure the glue won't go through and stick to the other layer. You might want to put some paper in between just to make sure. There are so many different types of fabric glue out there. This is what I used and it worked just fine. Just make sure it says it's washable.



Turn your sweater/scarf back around and this is what it should look like. And that's it! You are already done. How quick was that?




You can also add some buttons, a brooch, pins, or anything else you would like to dress it up. I only had buttons at home but you get the idea.

Wasn't that easy?! 



Now if you want to make the matching leg warmers, go get the other sweater piece that was left earlier. It should look something like this.



Again, start cutting right under the arm pit straight up.

Fold and glue the edge you just cut, let it dry for a few minutes and you can already wear them! As you can see I am wearing mine with knitted boots, which is probably too much with the knitted sweater leg warmers. I just wanted to show you real quick what the end result would look like. Also, if your sleeves are wide enough at the wrist part, you can wear them to where that part is showing, instead of the cut and folded end.

Now you have your matching scarf and leg warmer set and the best thing is, it was FREE!




No comments:

Post a Comment